Tuesday, April 19, 2011

BEHOLD THE POWER OF MY DAUGHTER..... and her mighty pull hand!

My beautiful daughter and I decided to take a trip on Saturday to the "dreaded" local card shop as I needed some supplies for the card sets that I am working on and I had run out of penny sleeves and jersey card holders and the last time I was at Wal Mart they were out of those things. Off we go! We get inside the local hobby shop dungeon and all you see is stuff on the counters from 2010, 2009, and 2008: all TOPPS products. As I gaze upon the boxes of hobby products and I see some of the prices he has written on them with black sharpie I suddenly have the urge to lay on the floor in a fetal position and cry out to "make it stop" as he is not one to really bargain on anything and swears a loyal oath and a blue streak by the most "unholiest of foul wretched price guides"....BECKETT (high column mainly). However not all hope is lost in this hobby dungeon of lost cards souls as one of a few bright spots is that he does have good supplies such as sleeves, containers, dividers, etc at really good bargain basement prices. So as I am gathering the much needed supplies to take back to my village, the little kahuna has been looking over the TOPPS seeds and had spotted 4 boxes of Topps Chrome 2010 baseball. She grabs me by my arm and asks if she could get a box since she has not had any cards in a while and that she got a very good report card and because Daddy loves her. Well....I do love her but I really did not want to pay 65.00 a box for Chrome but she has earned it and when I went to pay for it I only ended up being charged 50.00 for it. I felt as if I had slayed the dragon and ran away with the golden egg! This man never hardly budges on his prices. Perhaps it was my daughter's charm or the fact that this guy really needs the business. I didn't ask and he didn't say.

So we came back home and Caty rushed into the house and immediately opened up her new-found box of joy and let me tell you something.....when your daughter comes to you with what she had in her hand....well I'll just let the picture do the talking:


There was a 4th autograph as well: Cole Gillespie regular rookie auto version. This was all from one box mind you! The Gonzalez 1/1, the Castro refractor rookie auto, and the Stubbs, English, and Gillespie autos were all in one box. She brings me these cards and asks if she pulled anything good. Needless to say I pooped my pants at what she pulled. This brings me to another issue: Topps quality control. Was it a hot box? Did some think of themselves as of an air traffic controller and feel asleep at the insert/press machine? The box does say, "2 auto's per box". I guess Christmas came a little early this year from Topps.

I would also have to say that the "little kahuna" has a hot hand in the "big pulls department" as of lately.

In the immortal words of Charlie Sheen:  WINNING!

6 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

I need to send her some packs to open for me.

darkship said...

Can she come with me to pick out a box next time I go!! Love the Castro!

The Big Kahuna said...

I think I'm gonna let her pick a lottery ticket for pete's sake! She's been getting some major pulls lately.

Contrary Guy said...

!!!!

Mark Aubrey said...

Nice pulls. Nice daughter.

Starlin Castro used to play for the Cubs' AA team not far from here. We miss him.

The Big Kahuna said...

Thank you Mark!